Saturday, January 3, 2009

Happy New Year

I have been too busy living life to report on all of it. I have enough to do with my life without adding Twitter to the mix. I think Facebook is out for the moment as well. Somewhere I have a MySpace page that I have ignored for a long time. I removed Skype from my computer after it hijacked every phone number on every website I visited. I use the internet to find phone numbers, and I could not see them or get Skype to leave them alone. If I find a fix for that, I may reinstall the program. For the moment, I still check my email and answer my cell phone when I have service. I even reply to text messages on occasion.
I am not sure everyone needs to know about each shovelful of snow I move. Off the street. Over my head. Onto the pile. Thanks for asking. According to the local paper, at least 28 roofs have collapsed. Many of the local "Big Box" stores have closed temporarily for snow removal from the roof, including my favorite Walmart and Costco. No home roofs have fallen yet. We have left our snow alone, because it keeps dripping off the edge to lighten the load.
I have been spending lots of time sitting in the ski lodge, watching kids ski, and wandering around on the ski hill to see how they are doing.Snow load is an issue for more than just buildings. The gap between the snow on top of this one and the snow on the ground is the bottom of the windows. I could actually see through it.I am not sure what the load capacity is for these, but my vehicle suggests no more than 200 pounds be carried on the roof. The local estimate is about 20PSF of snow, and I am guessing the roof on this little one is more than 10 square feet. We will see what comes out of cold storage in the spring.We took a walk in the snow through the forest on New Year's Day. Two nice people with snowshoes made a decent trail to follow. It is probably full of snow again.My Shadow joined us on our walk. She is sitting on a sidewalk here.
I also walk from one lodge to the other and back for exercise. Today the lift line was long here, because one of the other lifts was not working. There usually is no line for this lift.My girl hard at work on her new job by the other lodge. The job comes with the spiffy jacket, which she will return at the end of the season.Inside out boy.Not really snowing, just a few flakes on the car.I drive by these guys on my way home from the ski hill, which is about their dinner time every day.

3 comments:

Kangamoo said...

You can explain to your son that we did in fact have snow this morning. Just because you could not see a ski lift, does not mean there is no snow. Of course all of the snow is gone now, but we may be expecting more tonight. Our high today was 41 F.

mrjumbo said...

Facebook is rich and full of stuff and disorganized and a complete waste of time (well, maybe not complete), so you'll do just fine without it.

But Twitter may be less useless than it ought to be.

It's a slight little tool, almost not there at all, and the "Tweets" are vanishingly lightweight. And yet it has an odd connecting aspect, like a raised eyebrow at the right moment, or a shoulder shrug.

Sorry to hear Skype didn't work out on your computer. It's a pleasure to be able to chat with someone face to face from far away. Windows passeth understanding.

Speak up if you'll be needing more shovels--

--MrJ

Papa Bradstein said...

That whole life thing is so distracting. Regarding Skype, you're not the only one who hates that feature. Here's one account of how to get rid of it: http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/10/10/disable-uninstall-and-remove-skype-add-on-call-this-phone-number-on-web-page-and-toolbar-plugin-menu-in-ie/.