Sunday, December 21, 2008

Last night we had a neighborhood party

The much awaited plowing of our streets happened last night around 11:00. It was immediately followed by a gathering of neighbors armed with shovels and snow blowers partying all night long attempting to remove the large mounds of snow which the plows deposited in front of our driveways. Nobody was complaining. Everyone was happy to know that they would be able to drive their cars soon. Well, maybe the owners of these two cars, featured earlier might not be driving until they remove the local version of the "Denver Boot" from their cars. These are the same two cars featured below. Nobody will be stealing them anytime soon. The near one is the Chevy copy of my car.Yesterday also marked the first day of skiing for the ski team. One of my skiers is on the team, and the other one is training to be an instructor. I did not find her for pictures, especially after she borrowed my jacket. We were working with negative integers for temperatures, so I stayed inside all day. My boy is very happy to be on the slopes again.
I took a little ski trip myself, through the local forest. As you can see, I am the first one through after the snow fell.
This is what it looks like after I attempted to ski through two feet of powder. Another six inches have fallen, and I have not had a chance to improve my trail. Maybe tomorrow, I will be out there again. Today, the neighborhood streets were perfect for my skis, since all the ruts from the SUVs were gone and we had a couple of inches of fresh stuff to play on.
I do not have stability control or 4 wheel drive or more than 6 inches of ground clearance, but I have made it up this mountain twice in the last two days. Fortunately, the best plowed road in the county leads to the ski hill. They know how to do snow there, unlike my neighborhood with the 2 foot berms down the middle of the street where no F150 dares to tread. We are all so happy the berms are gone, even the truck drivers.

I did see a F150 in the ditch on the way up, and again on the way back from the ski hill. As my sister says, maybe he did not have four wheel stop. I just take it slowly.

2 comments:

Kangamoo said...

The whole world is a school zone... I go 20 in the good conditions.

And it keeps on snowing. We lost our 12 inch ruler two nights ago, so today I either find my 26 1/2" ruler or go buy a yard stick to take pictures of. They said that the snow would be letting up today, so I look outside and it is still coming down, lightly, but coming down.

I am glad your kids got back out on the slopes again. They are home there.

CaliforniaGirl said...

It is good to slow down around the holidays.

I am sorry to hear of your missing ruler, but I am certain it will show up before summer. Our weather predictors are having difficulty with their predictions too.