Friday, June 6, 2008

All in a day's work.

Whoever said there was such a thing as a stay at home Mom never tried it. We stay at home Moms have cell phones, because we are never close enough to the home phone to answer it. I prefer the more accurate Full Time Mom, or the simpler yet elegant Domestic Goddess. Yesterday started early with a trip to school by 8:00 (usual start is at 9:15) to catch the bus by 8:15 to visit Cataldo Mission and scenic Wallace, Idaho with the fourth grade class. Our first, unscheduled, stop was here, somewhere in Idaho at the upper end of Lake Coeur D'Alene, which is not usually part of the lake. Note the fence in the water. We stopped here to clean up after a child who had been on the bus too long. I was glad to be in the train of cars following behind.We proceeded to Cataldo Mission, which is the oldest building still standing in Idaho. There might have been older buildings, but they burned down years ago. It is amazing to think of the Jesuits and the local natives erecting those timbers without the use of any equipment. There was a lot of manpower and rope involved, but there is nothing to indicate how the upward lift was provided.After lunch we took off for Wallace. The first stop for our group was the train depot. There were no tracks, no trains, but there was this nice depot.We visited a mining museum, then we visited a real mine. Note my boy in the middle of the group without his hard hat on. This mine never produced anything, but at $10.50 a pop for a tour, I think they may be making money on it now. Other mines in the area produce lots of silver.How to blow up rocks.As if the day's entertainment was not sufficient, the evening provided further fun. The final presentation of the humanities projects went on from 6:00 until around 9:30 last night. My daughter's presentation was a display along with many others in the mall at her school. Several of her fellow students chose to do a stage presentation instead. My daughter and this young man narrated the presentations. To describe each presentation, she time traveled in this fine time machine to the place and time which each student was discussing, from Aboriginal Australia to Beethoven's piano to the future of the class, they told jokes and announced each project. Orientation on stage did not seem to affect the functionality of the time machine.

3 comments:

Kangamoo said...

You thought you had a long travel and an even longer day.... imagine how tired your daughter must have been with all that time travel. What nice trees she had in her display. I was convinced they were real and I shold know, I live in the Evergreen state....I am not sure if they named it that because of the moss actively growing all year or the trees which seem to be abundant.

Papa Bradstein said...

Is he not wearing a hard hat because he's so hard-headed? Funny. He's always seemed so easy going.

CaliforniaGirl said...

Kangamoo: I am glad the trees pass muster. For the moment, what is green here is moss.

papa: Obviously you have never sent him to take a bath or do some other odious task which is beneath him. Actually, I think he was adjusting it.