Friday, June 8, 2007
Whatever the weather
Around here, the only thing you can count on the weather for is that it will change. It is June according to the calendar. I actually took this picture a couple of days ago on the penultimate day of school.
I had been out to walk the dog the night before, and noted that unusually cold rain was falling. Rain in June is not unusual, but rain that makes me shiver in my shorts is. If you listen to too many locals, snow is common for several occasions, Memorial Day, Fourth of July and Labor Day among them. I think we can add High School Graduation to the list. Compare this shot to the one a few days ago when there was a fire on the same mountain. Of course we all talk about the weather, but none of us had done anything about it.
On my walk that morning, I took a few pictures to show the city dwellers among my readers what clear air looks like. What looks like low hills are actually about 5000 to 6000 feet above sea level. My camera did not pick up the radio towers which are about 20 miles from where I took the picture. Just across the field, you can see the road to town climbing the Bass Hill about a mile away.
The mountains in the distance are about 50 miles off, and across the state line. I could actually see farther than my camera can record.
As I sit here and type, the sun is out, but it is generating far more light than heat. Now that school is out, I expect warmer weather. I may not get what I expect.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment