Sunday, September 7, 2008

Another waterfall

I took off yesterday morning for a trip to my sister's house and a particular island city north of there where they were running a triathlon today. The sun was out when I left, but as I traveled west, the sky filled with clouds. There was lots of sky to fill out there over the wheat fields.One sometimes expects good weather for trips. These clouds fore and aft do not bode well for sunshine on the morrow. I made a brief stop to see a waterfall which had graced two different calendars this year in the same month. Here is the view from the top, which is an easy stroll from the parking lot.
This the officially sanctioned view from the bottom. After I hiked down, I found a parking lot at the bottom too. I am glad I took the walk, including the rather steep hike back up. I had been sitting in the car for a while at that point, and the exercise was welcome.
There are these lovely signs around the boardwalk near the bottom of the falls which admonish one to do what the authorities want one to do.
This is what one sees if one does not follow the warnings on the signs.
It is also possible to sample the water. It was cold, and I had miles to go before my destination, so I did not swim.That little round thing up there is where I took the first picture of the falls. I was in good company scampering around on the rocks at the base of the falls. I would heed the warnings if the river was running high, but at this time in the summer, they barely have enough water to let any go over the falls at all.This tree started life on top of a stump which did not prove to be a stable place to live. Adaptation is a good thing.
The clouds are not going away. Now they are obscuring the lovely mountains. The city limit sign is partially obscured by a bug which gave its life for that spot on my windshield.

No comments: