Saturday, March 29, 2008

Math is cool

Yesterday afternoon, my boy competed with lots of other fourth graders from all over the eastern part of our state in Math is Cool. They did individual tests. They did group tests. They did math relay problems. They did mental math. This one did not want Mom to take his picture.They competed for speed in a college bowl type of competition. All the while, it was snowing outside. Not just little flakes like one might exect the night Spring Break starts, at least a week into spring. These were the big fluffy white ones that land and stick to things and make driving interesting. These were the kind of flakes that show up in pictures taken through classroom windows.
When the competition was over, they handed out trophies and such. My son brought home the prize for the highest scoring individual from his school.
After it was all over, we walked out to the car. When I take the boy skiing, I expect to find white fluffies all over my car. It is part of the experience. When I take him to math competitions, I guess I should expect to find pi all over my car. I found white fluffies instead. Notice the shiny aluminum wheels? That means I took the snow tires off the car already.
When we arrived home, my Shadow insisted on a walk. Whatever the weather, she wants to go out and take me with her.
I ended up wearing a few flakes as well.This morning we went on our usual tour of the neighborhood. Never mind that the white stuff is piling up deep, there are birds to watch and squirrels to chase and other dogs out there to smell. We need to go out and play, now. So we went.
We saw drifting snow by the park. I guess they promised a little wind today too. It seems to have slipped between the cement barriers at the edge of the unused parking lot.
Then the sun came out and started to melt a few flakes away. Here's hoping your weather is at least as interesting as ours.

2 comments:

Papa Bradstein said...

Good to see you! You look great, especially in your new white hat and scarf!

What a cool, smart boy. I'm sending 3B out to learn some things from all y'all. I'm sure he'll be smarter for it. Maybe I'll get lucky and he'll bring some bread back. Or some Amish friends, or something.

CaliforniaGirl said...

You just send him right over. We would love to see him. Of course we would love to see his parents too.