Sunday, August 5, 2007

Moving week

The final week is here at last. The schedule for those of you keeping score:

Today, Sunday: Church this morning, potluck at church this afternoon, pick up daughter this evening when the youth group returns from Spirit West Coast where she has been for the last five days instead of packing.

Tomorrow, Monday: Final laundry, pack both cars and the trailer before the moving truck arrives. Visit the post office to send things to my siblings and put in a change of address. Escrow closes on our current house.

Tuesday: The movers arrive. If I have sufficiently convinced them that we are packed and ready, they might even bring the truck along. Otherwise, they show up, start packing, and maybe the truck comes later in the day, if we are not so blessed, it shows up the next day.

Wednesday: If the movers brought the truck yesterday, we could be on the road early this morning. If not, we are still loading the truck today with high hopes for a noon departure.

Thursday: Today we finsh the drive. When we arrive in our new home city, we will stop by storage and trade a car full of stuff for an empty car so the five of us can all fit in one vehicle for the afternoon festivities. Five, you ask? Two parents, two children and a dog. She will be in the car for all the traveling until we have keys to our new backyard. Our goal is to arrive before our 3:00 PM appointment with our realtor for our final inspection of the house before we sign papers at 4:00 PM. Since they have not given us the final deposit amount for the new house, all the proceeds from our old house will be on deposit in our savings account, which adds a trip to the Credit Union to obtain a cashier's check to the plans for the day.

Friday: We close escrow on our new house, obtain the keys and unload two cars and the trailer. Then we drive over to our storage unit where we left a few things three weeks ago, load that into the cars and unpack that stuff in our new house too.

Saturday through Monday we breathe, enjoy our new house, visit Walmart and Home Depot for all those essentials like paint and toilet paper that we suddenly need.

Tuesday: The moving truck shows up to unload. If they are lucky, we will not have spread the four carloads and two trailer loads of stuff so far that they have to move it to get into the house.

For my regular correspondants, I will be online here until the moving truck leaves. I will send one final message before I unplug the modem to take it back to Time Warner on our way out of town. I will have WiFi access to email each evening on the road. Once we are in our house, I do not know when we will be connected again. I have been getting a bit of a run around regarding service. I will take the computer from time to time to visit hot spots and check mail. Even the local Burger King advertises a hot spot. I expect to be up and running again at home in a couple of weeks, but that depends on the quality of the wires, as we found out at Mom's house. Our new house was built in 1973, so the wiring is not exactly up to today's standards. I will keep everyone updated as best I can.

1 comment:

mrjumbo said...

Congratulations and take a deep breath! It'll be an exciting week, but I'm sure you'll rest better once it's over. Woo-hoo! How long have you planned for this move, and now it's finally really going to happen?!

Here's to enjoying the wonderful Washington weather as the leaves start to turn and ski season begins!

Love to the whole crew!