Would someone remind me why we call it vacation? What am I getting away from? I seem to be on the move more than ever, and everything keeps following me.
We are past the midpoint in the escrow on our house. We have selected a new house and are settling the details of who fixes what before close of escrow. Our realtor even fixed some of the plumbing himself. I have been north almost to the Canadian border and south to the Bay Area. What I need to do is spend time in my little corner of the world packing and plotting the final move. Instead I sit at my computer and debate which motel works best for the next trek north when we relocate a car and some stuff to our new hometown. I keep thinking about what a small fraction of Mom's collection we went through last week, even though we went through lots of stuff.
Then I turned off the computer for three days to make a speed run north to drop off a car and a storage unit full of stuff (where did it all come from? I can't believe the contents of two cars and a trailer were so big) and return home to catch my breath and pack. Just last month, I was lamenting how much I had to do over the summer, and now I have even more. So far, I am still breathing and all the pieces are falling into place.
It rained all the way north through Oregon, which caused great chagrin due to the threat to the contents of the open trailer. When we arrived at our final destination, a storage unit about a mile from our new home, it was sprinkling sufficiently to determine that the things going into the unit would not be completely dry. I think they were dry enough, and they will only be there for a couple of weeks and then we can take them to our new home.
On the road, we even caught a couple of stages of the Tour de France. My son really enjoyed seeing it, but alas without cable TV here, we are limited to my brother's commentary and the few images versus chooses to share over the internet. All in all, it is turning into an interesting race. I guess one should not write off riders just because they have stitches in their knees. A little determination goes a long way.
My Shadow is happy that I am home. She and my daughter spent the last three days at a friend's house. The girls had fun with each other, but my dog terrorized and wore out the dog of the house. I hope she recovers. We have taken a couple of nice walks, and she took a ride to the dump this morning. In a couple of weeks, she will go for the longest car ride of her life. I hope we are all up for it.
No comments:
Post a Comment